November 3, 2008
Posted by on
Guess what?! My things are still available at CRD until tomorrow!!! Here’s part of the most recent message Christina sent out:
Hi everyone, we wanted to let you know that Christina Renee Designs and the Block Party Designers agreed to continue our sale and all the blog freebies through Tuesday, November 4th, CST. Our servers went down during this event for a while and we want to make up for that.
So if you wanted to pick something up but didn’t have a chance to this weekend, you still have time !
The fall foliage is really beautiful in my neighborhood right now! We drove to the local research park the other day to take a walk, and I got lots of great photos. Luckily, there was another family there taking photos, so we offered to take a family photo of them in exchange for them taking one of us . I love how the beautiful colors are reflected in the water behind us. I actually took lots of photos with even better fall colors, but they don’t have all of us in them – I will have to scrap those later.
Here’s a page I made with our fall family photo, using the Cozy Sweater kit and my freebie Autumn Word Art:
Photoshop Tips (in PSCS3 – other versions of PS may differ)
- To get the angled look above, I cropped the photo before placing it on the page. I duplicated the photo layer, used the move tool to rotate it, flattened the image and cropped it into a rectangle. Then, I added the cropped photo to the page, and rotated it until the horizon line was level again, stretching the edges of the photo off the sides of the layout.
- Even though it is at an angle, it was still easy to matte the photo above: in the layers palette, I right-clicked on the thumbnail of the photo layer and chose “select pixels”, then, from the pull-down menu: select>modify>expand>50 pixels, and in the same menu: select>inverse. THEN: I switched to the yellow paper layer I had placed below the photo and clicked “delete”!
- I created the subtle, stitched leaf pattern on the orange paper by arranging the felt leaves on the background and changing their blend mode to “lighten”.
- To make the red felt “AUTUMN” in the title, I used the type tool to write the word (with the Impact font). Then, in the layers palette, I right clicked the layer and chose “Rasterize Type”. Lastly, I layered a couple of the felt hat elements from the kit over the word, and used ctrl+alt+g on them to create a clipping mask. I also selected the layers and merged them (ctrl+e), then duplicated the felt layer and changed the blend mode to multiply (lowering the opacity a bit) to darken it a bit.
- Don’t forget that when playing with blend modes, you can duplicate the layers to incorporate even more blend modes – I used this technique on all three parts of the title !
Oh, and here are some other great sightings of the Cozy Sweater kit at CRD:
November 1, 2008
Posted by on
*Please note: due to all of the excited digi scrappers flooding the CRD store and blog to get their sale items and freebies, things seem to be running slower than usual. If you are experiencing problems with the site, please check back in a little while – I’m sure things will be smoothed out soon!*
As promised, here’s a layout about Gabe and his famous sweater ! This sweater and crisp fall days were the inspiration for my new kit: Cozy Sweater, available this weekend only at the CRD block party.
Photoshop Tips and Tricks
- To recolor some of the letters, I used the magic wand tool (with a tolerance of about 30) to select the letter portion, then I used Select>Similar to make sure the whole letter was included. Then I copied the selection to a new layer and used image>adjustments>hue/saturation to choose the new color.
- To make the border of squares along the photo edge, I created a new 1.5×1.5 photoshop document and used the rounded rectangle tool to make a shape cutter. I used this new tool to cut all of the papers into perfectly sized, matching squares before adding them to my layout.
- I lowered the opacity of the yellow square to about 88% so that the bright color wouldn’t detract attention from the elements on the rest of the page.
Here is some inspiration from my Cozy Sweater “One-Kit-CT” – I LOVE these!
November 1, 2008
Posted by on
I hope you have a fun day today enjoying the wonderful world of digi scrapping ! If you are a seasoned digital scrapbooker, I’m sure you know exactly which online stores have the sales, events and freebies you are looking for. If you are new to digi scrapping, today is the perfect day to discover your favorite digi hangouts!
One place to start is Christina Renee’s Authentic Artistry blog, where there will be a new digital freebie every hour starting at 10 am EST. Each freebie is part of a collaboration called “A Walk in the Park” created by the block party designers. I’ve seen previews of many of the freebies, and they’re beautiful! Here’s a preview of my part:
Remember, you will need to check this post at Authentic Artistry every hour for the chance to grab the freebies, even I don’t know which hour my part will be available ! Don’t forget to leave comments for the freebie designers too, for your chance to win gift certificated to the store !!
October 31, 2008
Posted by on
Well, I have just had a BLAST this month designing for Christina Renee’s block party! I don’t think I will be able to stop making digi kits after all this fun, it is really addicting . But, I’m soooooo sad to say that this is the LAST release for the block party – I wish it could go on forever though! But what better weekend to finish things off – tomorrow is Digital Scrapbooking Day – YIPPEEEEEE! I know there are TONS of wonderful events and sales going on in the digi world this weekend, but you really must make time for the events at CRD . Tomorrow there will be freebies every hour for a huge part of the day at CRD’s Authentic Artistry blog; the block party designers got together for ANOTHER collab and we will be offering it up bit by bit throughout the day – but you will have to be quick – each freebie is for a limited time only. More about that tomorrow .
For TODAY, there is a big sale going on (including all of my products – everything is under $5) with lots and lots of new stuff plus a FREE collab kit with $10 purchase. Here’s a preview of the collab, French Cafe – Ooh La La ! The preview on the right shows the parts I contributed – you can see I’ve been experimenting with my stylus and tablet again, LOL . Plus, there are over 30 coordinating papers not shown here!
I also made a new kit!!! Now that the days are getting colder, my little guy has been asking for his favorite sweater more and more, and he just looks sooooo cute in it – so that was what inspired me to create this kit: Cozy Sweater! There are some talented scrappers working on layouts using this kit, so look for those in a future post (plus one from me with Gabe and his famous sweater)!
*Click Here to Purchase Cozy Sweater*
I also made new quick page set, this time using Christina’s new Color Theory: Gold.
*Click Here to Purchase the Golden Quick Page Set*
I put a lot of detail into these quick pages, and I’m so happy with how they turned out – the tiny preview pictures do not do them justice, so I will have to make some pages with these so you can get a better idea of what they look like . But for now, I need to get ready for a fabulous fall afternoon with Gabe (he is going to be dressed up as Elmo tonight for the Fall Festival at our church – so adorable)!
Oh yeah – don’t miss this gorgeous freebie by sherriejd!
November 3, 2007
Posted by on
If you haven’t already explored the world of digital scrapbooking, today is a great day to start!! In honor of Digital Scrapbooking Day there are TONS of sales and events going on . I could never list them all, but there are lots of announcements being made in the special DSD section at DST!
Sales at Weeds and Wildflowers!!
There are so many products on sale at the Weeds and Wildflowers Shoppe, including my Layered Shape Templates: Autumn Set, for 20% off (see examples here).
AND, check this out, from Weeds and Wildflowers!
Also, if you haven’t already, you need to go enter to win one of these awesome prizes at the celebration here at Scrapbook Ideas (you have until tomorrow!):
Here’s the freebie I’m giving to everyone who enters !